Blogs > Mission: Pinpossible

Nicole Franz is a copy editor and paginator at The News-Herald in Willoughby. She takes all those sweet recipes, grueling workouts, cleaning tips, money-saving tricks, do-it-yourself projects and looks that seem so cool on Pinterest and writes about how they really turn out.

Monday, October 22, 2012

Endlessly customizable mini wonton tacos are easy appetizer



I’ve seen a lot of nifty easy-to-eat appetizers, but those using wonton wrappers as a base seem so easy to eat and make. I’ve been dying to try them for ages, but haven’t been able to find wonton wrappers in my local grocery stores. I had been all over the Giant Eagle closest to my home and several other grocery stores (Heinen’s, Marc’s, etc.) looking for the wrappers to no avail. One of my co-workers (I believe it was Theresa Audia) happened to mention seeing them in the Giant Eagle by the Great Lakes Mall. I made a trip and sure enough found exactly what I needed in the refrigerated section on the wall by the produce.

Having procured the wonton wrappers I went through and found one of the appetizer recipes I wanted to try: Mini tacos. The pin has all the instructions and links to a Flickr page.

Instructions

“Mini tacos: Won ton wrappers in muffin tins filled with taco seasoned ground meat, cheese & bake for 8 minutes at 350. Top with favorite taco toppings! Perfect for entertaining!”

How it went

These instructions are ridiculously easy to follow. Honestly, you don’t even need instructions to repeat this recipe.

I browned some ground turkey and added a packet of taco seasoning while my oven preheated (325 degrees for my oven — it runs hot).

I elected to spray my muffin tray before arranging the wonton wrappers.

I added the seasoned taco meat and sprinkled some shredded cheddar cheese on it. I filled my wonton wrappers pretty full, but you may want to fill yours less if you’re planning on adding more toppings later.
I baked mine for about seven minutes, pulling them out when the edges started to brown. Once they were finished baking they were easily removed from the muffin tin using a spoon. 

I topped half of mine with green onions and served them up for a small group of friends.

Results

They were a total hit with the group, earning rave reviews and clean plates. 

This recipe is endlessly customizable. Serve with sour cream, salsa, tomatoes, onions, guacamole, whatever you want. Use different meat or cheese. This would be very easy to prep for ahead of time as well (brown the meat and season it beforehand). This is definitely making it onto my keeper board. 



— Nicole Franz | NiFranz@News-Herald.com | @FranzOrFoe
Follow my Mission: Pinpossible board on Pinterest.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

how many does this recipe make?

January 31, 2015 at 2:44 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home